The Lyric Theatre was originally the town house of the Scurlock family, and this is where Sir Richard Steele founder of The Spectator died in 1729. In 1935 the building was refurbished to seat 1,000 cinema, in the 'moderne' style with Art Deco detailing. The Lyric Cinema was empty and desolate during the period 1980-86 when it was suggested that it should be redeveloped into a theatre. A refurbishment then took place which made the building the (then) fourth largest theatre in Wales. As part of the refurbishment programme a new fly tower was built along with an orchestra pit and a backstage extension for wardrobe and dressing rooms. Within the auditorium the existing circle was considered to be too high so a smaller dress circle, with 80 seats, was built in front of the film projection box, the old circle becoming the upper circle.
In 2007 another refurbishment took place that included new seating in the auditorium and improvements to the technical facilities and back stage areas. As well as this a 1st floor was built above the dressing rooms to allow space for a large studio space that can accommodate workshops and classes as well as doubling up as another dressing room. After this project the Lyric is able to accommodate breath-taking ballet and full-scale stage productions, it can also be converted into an intimate cabaret venue with candle-lit tables to bring you exciting events such as Comedy Clubs, Burlesque nights and small scale theatre.